Yellow Jacket Traps

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Slowmodem, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Temperatures are in the 70s, the leaves are turning green, the bees are buzzing, the birds are chirping, etc,. etc., etc.

I want to get an early start with yellow jacket traps and get them out when the queens start flying.

I know there are experienced experts here, and I'd love to tap that knowledge. I know from reading that it takes about a week for a 2-litre soda bottle trap to "ripen" to be ready for the yellow jackets. What I'm wondering is when is it time to put them out? Seems to me if all the other bugs are flying, the yellow jackets are probably thinking about it, too.

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I'm just a newbie so I hope you don't mind my input.

My intent was to get my traps out early to catch the queens. Only problem is that as mild as the winter was I don't think the yellow jackets ever quit flying down here. I had them working a camellia bush back in January and saw a few flying low prior to the camellia blooming. I've had traps out since January and are catching just a few all along.

I'd say go ahead and put them out.

Ed

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

In you 2 liter bottle trap for yellow jackets I know you put kitty kat fiah flavor food but do you put anything else in there to kill them. I have quite a few here and I am tired of getting stung by them and I want to put out a bunch of traps. Oh yes do you hang the traps up off the ground. Thanks.

Kebee

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Did you put a link to us over there with a recommendation, also.

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Kebee, I thought I had posted a reply but I guess I didn't press the right (or left) button. ;)

I use 1 c. sugar, 1 c. hot water, 1 c. white vinegar, and 1 banana peel for the liquid in the bottom of the 2-liter bottle. I also hang a piece of turkey sandwich meat down in the bottle...I use a piece of sewing thread with a "lasso" in it to hold the meat and then screw the cap down on the thread when I have it adjusted at the right height.

I have one trap hanging from a limb and one sitting on a broken flower pot. The stationary one is catching more yellow jackets but it's under a camellia tree that they like to work so there's more traffic there.

Ed

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I do when I get a chance! :D

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK. Just as long as it's balanced...........................................Leaning to this side. :D

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'll probably make one or two traps tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to start attracting them. I guess that's how you learn. :)

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Most satisfying method of wasp trapping :D
    Best bait: A famliy bar-b-que.
    Best trap: An inverted clear plastic disposable cup in the hands of a beekeeper.
    Method: Cover wasps while they are busy trying to snatch your steak.
    Destruction method: While the wasp flies up, quickly place another inverted cup inside the cup holding the wasp. With your fingers, push up on the base of the inner cup and down of the base of the outer cup, thus squashing the wasp between the bottoms of the two cups.
    Immediate satisfaction guaranteed. :yahoo:
    This method has been found to be very inspirational and others like to join into the challenge of "who catches the most?" :mrgreen:

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That sounds like it could be an event from the Redneck Olympics they have here in the south! :D

12. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

lowes trap worked well for me, tried 2liter thing and didnt work no where near as good

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Occasionally, I buy a gallon of tea from Kroger's. I have a few empty jugs around that I put syrup in and other stuff. Anyways, I went to the store and got some apple cider vinegar and bananas for the trap, and some other stuff. As I was bringing it in and telling my wife about yellow jacket traps and setting a jug of tea down, the light bulb went off: I'll just use an empty tea jug and hook a clothes hanger through the handle to hang it up.

So, it's been "curing" for a week now and I'm going to put it up later today when I go outside. I put in sugar and water (I had some 1:1 mixed up already), some apple cider vinegar (I didn't measure it, but it's a healthy pour out of the bottle), a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid, and a week-old black banana chopped up. I put the lid on and shook it well. I ran a metal clothes hanger through the plastic handle. I hung it up a week ago to "cure". When I go out, I'll take a picture of it.

It may be too early in the year for YJ. But it will be interesting to monitor, and next year I'll have a better idea.

14. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Have you already put a hole in the jug? YJ's tend to fly "up" so you want the hole down the side a short distance. I'm thinking on the 2-liter bottles it's *just* below where the curve is that forms the neck. Since hanging the jug from the side is going to cause it to "lean" I would take the jug and hang it so you can see where the best spot for the hole will be. Most recipes I've seen use equal amounts (by volume) of water, sugar, and vinegar. You can also fashion a slip-noose out of some thread to make a "lasso" and hang a piece of sandwich meat down inside the jug in front of the opening (run the thread out the top cap and screw the cap down on it to hold it in place). This time of the year the YJ's will be looking for carbohydrates but also protein to feed their brood...

I hope you catch a ton of 'em!!!!
    Ed

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

OK, here's what I ended up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hung it from an old a-frame that I have an anemometer and rain gauge on. That black looking spot between the y and the j is the entrance hole. If you look really hard in the distance, you can see down the hill where the hive is (well, was, because I moved it after I took that picture).

It may be too early for YJ, but I'm ready if they do come by!

16. jim314

jim314 New Member

My wife received this http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/Wasp-Catcher/dp/B006X15LOK as a present from her sister. When she opened it up and read the directions she said "you're not going to believe this". What they did was include instructions tailor made for killing honey bees. See attachment. I wrote Crackle Barrel and complained, and asked them to change the instructions. Even gave them a recipe for yellow jackets. I don't know if they will pay any attention to it or not though.
    [​IMG]

17. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Wow. That's kind of sad. But, I guess if someone is allergic, they would consider a bee as a pest, too.

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I bought 4 of those wasp catchers years ago. They don't catch anything - including honey bees, thank goodness.

I read somewhere that either pepsi or coke with vinegar and the banana work. I need yellow jacket traps today. Have 2 liter bottles and part of an old hot dog - my sugar water one didn't do much. except it caught a LOT of ants.

19. kebee

kebee Active Member

Gypsi, I made the 2 lit bottles up and they got very few yellow jackets or anything else, some one mention some trap that Lowes had, saw them and didn't have the extra money to get than. In walmart getting some ant killer and saw the same trap at a dollar cheaper so I got 2 and they worked so good that went back and got 2 more, was going to get more but they hadd sold out. I have had to clean out twice already and only had them for 2 1/2 weeks.

kebee

20. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well my new improved yellow jacket trap will have equal parts sugar, water, vinegar, cut banana peel, and a little bit of wine cooler (probably beer cooler) to get the fermentation process going. A bowl on my kitchen counter has been the fermentation chamber to get it going. Will load the bottles tomorrow. I remembered a seagrams cooler bottle with a bit of cooler attracting tons of flies a couple of years ago. Will see how my inspiration works. I'll have to dilute this and divide it, adding extra vinegar and 1:1, to get 2 bottles going. I can't find the yellow jacket hive, but my ponds are covered with yj's, and they periodically attempt getting into a hive. I have reducers on, and my nuc has a robber guard that went on when I set it up.

Gypsi