Yellow Jacket Wasps

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by waski2, Jul 8, 2010.

1. waski2

waski2 New Member

I have a brand new hive, but I am having a problem with yellow jacket wasps. Any suggestions?

thanks

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

yellow jacket trap baited with fish.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

describe the problem, are the yellowjackets actually attacking the colony, or simply trying to sneak in. there are many traps for wasps and yellowjackets available or the formula for the baits are readily available even here in these forums. if merely a attampted sneak thief--if the colony is strong they yellowjacket will be either chased away or killed.
    Barry

4. Charles

Charles New Member

I agree with Barry, if the hive is strong they should be able to defend themselves while you put out some traps or find the yellow jackets nest and destroy it...

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That yellowjackets exist at all in this country is a problem.

That honey bees get blamed for the stings from yellow jackets is a problem.

That beekeepers get blamed for yellow jackets at summer BBQ's is a problem.

6. Bryn

Bryn New Member

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

When I was a teenager we had a swallow's nest at our house that got attacked by yellow jackets... they killed and ate the baby birds over the course of a couple of days. They are absolutely viscious predators, and not good for the environment here in the states at all. Any other wasp I'll let live, but not yellow jackets.

8. waski2

waski2 New Member

thanks for the replies. My situation is that I have just started with a 3 frame nuc. On day 2 the yellow jackets started attacking. I was finding about 30 dead bees in front of the hive each day. I witnessed 1 yellow jacket in a one on one with a bee in front of the hive. As i watched, another one on one struggle came tumbling out if the front of the hive. Needless to say the yellow jackets are now toast. I was surprised that a bee could take on a yellow jacket one on one. I now have 3 wasp traps in the back yard, 2 that I purchased and one that I made. So far the traps have caught 5 yellow jackets, and I haven't seen the large number of dead bees in front of the hive today. Question, how many dead bees would be normal? I assume that 30 / day is far to many?

thanks for your time

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

30 a day for a three frame nuc could start to get out of hand after a few days.

Sounds like you did the right thing with the traps.