Yellow Jackets Gave Me An Idea

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Sep 19, 2012.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

It was 42 F this morning and when I checked on the bees through the front entrance they appeared to be in full cluster. While I was looking, a couple of yellow jackets came out the entrance. I guess they were taking advantage of the situation to grab a bit of honey. Then I thought, "Hey, here's the way to get those cleaned up supers off the top of the hive without fuming them again!" I'll grab them in the morning before they break cluster. Bugs, still teaching me.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

If you put the supers needing cleaned on above the inner cover. You can remove them without fuming them once the bees have cleaned them up.

3. litefoot

litefoot New Member

That's what I thought, too, but after cleaning, they're still on the super and are starting to refill the cells with pollen and nectar.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

sounds like you have a flow on and they ran out of room below the inner cover

5. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I bet you're right. Maybe I should take off the top super, leave the bottom one on and let them just fill it. Then I'll use it for feed in the Spring if they need it. But then I worry about giving the bees time to arrange their two-deep winter space if I leave any supers on much longer. What would you do?