Yellow jackets robbing ?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by tcchris, Sep 28, 2010.

1. tcchris

tcchris New Member

Hi
    We are having quite a season for yellow jackets this year . They are everywhere .
    This is my first year beekeeping , I have a weak hive , only about six frames built out .
    Today I saw a yellow jacket walking around on the landing , then he walked in the hive without any objections . Both of my hives have been very busy bringing in pollen and nectar lately , goldenrod I guess .
    I opened the weak hive to see good brood pattern , but very little pollen and what little honey present was uncapped . About a month ago , this hive had some capped honey . Could the yellow jackets be robbing , or have they just used there stores . I began feeding today , because they have no stores .

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would say they used up the honey to get the brood to where it is now. You will need to feed feed feed to get them through the winter.

3. tcchris

tcchris New Member

Thanks , the yellow jacket worried me because they just let him in

4. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Yellow jackets will gladly rob a weak hive.

You might want to consider combining the two. They would be much stronger that way, more able to defend themselves, and stand a much better chance of surviving the winter. Then you could increase them early next spring.

It might be wise to put a couple entrance reducers on your hives, too. A weak hive can't always guard all of their entrance so reducing the size of the entrance helps the bees keep better tabs an who comes in and who doesn't.

We have had yellow jacket problems in the past. We learned that the best way to avoid them is to make sure all hives are very strong at all times.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

so baby beek I assume by what you wrote in post #4 that you have had serious enough problem with yellow jackets in the past to cause some 'significant' damage? or is it a matter of worry?

harbor freight (I would think other folks carry them too) have yellow jacket traps you can add to bottles with lure to limit the problem.

6. tcchris

tcchris New Member

I made a yellowjacket trap , milk jug and bacon .
    I am feeding now .
    I guess thats all I can do . Also This hive has entrance reducer , only using about 2 inches .
    I only saw the on yellow jacket , so I don't really know if there is major robbing or not

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I don't recall if it was last summer or the one before that we became concerned about the yellow jackets and our bees. I do remember that it started one afternoon with one yellow jacket on the porch of one hive, and by the end of that week there were so many flying about the bee yard and trying to get into the hives that we really got worried about them...... especially after seeing the poor little bees doing all they could to defend their home. We didn't have any major losses, but I'm convinced that it was only because we did everything we could to eliminate the yellow jackets and make it easier for the bees to defend their homes. All those little dead bee bodies and chewed up parts of bee bodies were just too sad!

We put out traps (homemade thanks to Iddee), but then made sure to rake up all the leaves and lawn debris from the bee yard and our own yard to eliminate the yellow jacket nesting areas. The kids watched the hives so carefully that summer it was almost comical....... I would watch out the window and see one of the kids run down the hill and adjust an entrance reducer every so often, or run down there and try to shoo away the yellow jackets only to turn around and run back the other way :chased:

If all you saw was one and you don't see much of a population of them I wouldn't worry much. Just keep the traps going and try to make sure there will be fewer of them next year.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for the explanation mama beek. as the saying suggest... a ounce of prevention is far superior to a pound of cure.

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I think so too, especially when those little invaders bother both us and the bees :duel: