Yesterdays findings

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Apr 24, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Started going through my hives but the weather turned so I only managed to go through 6.

4 of these were triples (dumped a full box of capped honey on late in fall).
    Bottom boxes were all empty on 3 of those so I pulled those out, scraped the bottom boards, consolidated brood into the lower remaining box and left 4 frames of capped honey with empty comb in the middle for the upper box. Hopefully I haven't spread the brood out too much sideways and I think I've left enough frames of honey to see them through to the first blossoms. Wanted to give them room, swarm season will be here in a few weeks.
    Curiously, one of the triples had brood in the bottom box (open) and brood (capped) in the top box with the empty being the middle :confused: . Looked hard twice and only found one queen (bottom box) so I removed the middle box and consolidated the frames of brood as I did the others. It almost looked like two seperate colonies in the same hive, hard to imagine the queen crossing an entire empty deep to commence laying brood.

The two doubles, well one was a combine I tried a couple of weeks ago and it just fizzled. No queen, a few cells of capped brood and maybe a frame or two of bees. Interesting to note, these bees were very shiny, I assume they are just real old and about done.
    The other double was textbook, empty bottom box with all brood in upper so I just did a standard reversal (left the fondant patty on as this hive seems to have found it later than the others (fondant all gone).

I guess I am happy with what I have seen so far, 4 of the six look strong enough that I feel comfortable pulling a few frames to make up nucs when I get my queens on May 14th. Now I hope I can find 6 more strong ones in the remaining 10 I have yet to go through.

Now about that weather :roll:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Perry snip...
    It almost looked like two seperate colonies in the same hive, hard to imagine the queen crossing an entire empty deep to commence laying brood.

tecumseh...
    yes it is.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Do you have an upper and lower entrance for this hive?

You could have two queens in it, stranger things I have seen.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Upper and lower entrances in all my hives.
    I figured that with the different developmental ages of the brood there must only be one queen. I really looked hard for another but could only find the one. If there were two, there should have been brood of all stages in both areas but there wasn't. Capped in the upper and mostly open in the bottom. I could only guess that for some strange reason she took a walk across a totally empty deep.
    I would hate to think I missed a chance for an obvious split :oops: :frustrated:
    Went through another 6 today and no real surprises, would like to have seen some of them a little stronger cause I'm hoping to pull brood for some nucs in three weeks.
    Just got another email about the SHB, they will hold the queens for an extra day to check for beetles or larvae and if they find even one they will hold all the queens! Here's hoping all goes well.