yet another mark

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zookeep, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, after barrel-o-bees and the split with a new queen I did today I took a count and realized if I count the 3 nucs ready for 10 frame boxes I hit 41 hives, I never thought I would be anywhere near this at this time, I think I should put the breaks on and sit back and catch my breath, time to work on a honey house and all the other things needing to be done, no more expansion for me, I have a very busy honey season coming fast and think that should be what I work for now, and just wanna say thanks to all that have answered some of my dumb questions over the past year or so and helped me get to this point, been a hell of a ride so far:thumbsup:

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Yeah, it was a great ride that many of us enjoyed, together with you :smile::thumbsup:
    I'm sure it will continue, after temporary slow down.
    Waiting for the honey house news.:grin:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a zookeep snip...
    no more expansion for me

tecumseh...
    in your dreams buddy! once you get on THIS tread mill there is no escape....and now you will need to learn to run as fast as you can just to keep up.

ps... I can recall when I got to my own personal mark of 40 hives and thought to myself that should be enough. I even lied to my wife telling her that would be plenty.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Zookeep, I want to read the report on your holdings next year at this time. I have a feeling that the swarms and the hived girls will force your hand. :club:

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Tell me if that works for you. Tec is right, there is no escape I am afraid. I am reaching 10 langs for this spring not counting the tbh's I am building. I keep telling myself to sit back and catch my breath but I can't stop. A nearby keep harvested 750 lbs of honey from just five hives last season. You are, in theory, looking at 8 times that! Wow!

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With nucs going for 100 to 150 each, now is the time to increase, then decrease, by about 20 each year and fund your IRA.
    Good additional income without a tax increase.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:goodpost:

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Zookeep I under you predicament If you don't spend serious time with the bees you have already you will he having swarms flying out of your own hives while your out picking up swarms. If more bees are what you are after you could split your own hives and get the numbers you want with a lot less effort and time involved. so now the attraction should be doing cutouts of established colonies that have honey to salvaged and be on the lookout for desirable traits in the bees as possible breeding stock.

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

yep, Apis thats just what I was talking about, working on my own things from now on, I will be splitting alot of hives soon as a real flow starts, and working out how to get a honey house set up by maybe June ( I hope).

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Me too. What size building you looking at Zoo?

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

something around 10 x 20 with a loft to store boxes in

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Iddee said above.... the added benefit is it also automatically culls old frames on a constant schedule (every spring).

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

spring? "scratches head" Ive mated 2 queens this past 2 weeks, I have 6 nucs going right now for new queens in a few of the old hives.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I think about my bees like grandad did about the farm. Take care of the land and it will take care of you.:thumbsup: Zookeep,a lady beekeeper in our club built a 15ft.x 30ft. honey house 5 yrs ago and gives a extracting class for the club once a year. She says she regrets not making her honey house bigger.:roll: Jack