You don't see that every day!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CharlieB, Apr 19, 2012.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

So I opened up one of my big hives to do a split before they swarmed and I was too late. I didn't realize they had swarmed until I saw a queen running across a brood frame with another queen on her back stinging her. I didn't know what to think until I found two empty swarm cells along with three cells on another frame completely capped.

Both queens were in bad shape. One was limping and the other was very lethargic. So I pinched both of them, moved the frame with the swarm cells to a nuc then re-queened the original hive. I also took a box off with brood and honey and introduce a queen to that one.

What a shock to see that for the first time.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Not that this is something someone wants to witness, I would consider myself fortunate to have been able to. :thumbsup:
    I guess if a person is at it long enough there will always be times where one will get the occasional glimpse of something extrordinary.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh them San Francisco flower children have now been exposed to the bee keeping worlds equivalent of a 'death match'. the gentle world of the bees is gentle no longer!

an equivalent 'oh my gosh' kind of moment in the commercial bee keeping world is to pull a bar of what should be 10 day old cells (60 or so to a frame and 4 frames to a box... you can easily do the math here) only to find all have a large gaping hole in the side of each and every cell. the victims in this case never even had a fighting chance.

4. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Wow, that must have been a downer.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Mother nature at her finest!

Did you inspect the queen cells to see if they were still in good shape, sides not chewed out?

6. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Yes, they were in good shape.