You find beekeeping tools in the strangest places

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

2. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

I think I'll stick with the cheaper standard models. I haven't been beekeeping long enough to see one of them break or rust away.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Conversely, I bought a spare hive tool for my husband to use as a molding pry-bar. The molding pry-bars for woodworkers are very thin to get behind trimwork, and cost more than the $6 hive tool.

4. milapostol

milapostol New Member

It's funny how tools are interchangeable with hobbies/professions. When I started cooking, we had to use a "zester" to scrape zest off of citrus. It was a pain because you had to go an extra step and chop it with a knife.

With the zesters from Microplane, no extra step and the citrus zest is much finer. I heard these zesters were inspired by a woodworker's rasp.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

snip..
    It's funny how tools are interchangeable

tecumseh:
    my original 'hive tool' was called a paint scraper. I know I use my 'hive tool' for much more than scraping paint or working hives. on occasions I loose my hive tool and go to an old hardware store in down town Bryan, Tx where I purchase a 'hive tool' in their paint department.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I just found my lost "original" hive tool (the scraper kind) :yahoo: . It was the one I had when I first started keeping and I couldn't find it. It was a sentimental thing more than anything, not a lick of paint left on it, scorched a bit from sitting in my smoker too long. I had already bought another one to replace it and it just looked too new :lol:
    (I also use one of those J-hook type ones for lifting out frames)

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like the J hooked one best of all, have lost mine someplace and bought a replacement this afternoon. I have several old disc mower blades laying around that make good hive tools also.