you know your nucs are weak when

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by charmd2, Apr 16, 2011.

1. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

You know the nuc supplier feels bad when you go to the scheduled pick up and instead of the already low price of $85 for a 5 frame nuc in a plastic nuc box, you get charged $70.

No kidding for real. Went to pick up five nucs today for the 4h kids and I am truely glad I have drawn comb to throw on them. Actually got an average of 2.5 frames drawn on each of them. They did all have mated laying queens though so hopefully their numbers will start increasing quickly. Told the girls (kids not bees) I was going to keep them at my house for another four weeks so I could check them and make sure they were going to be alright. I could come up with frames of brood at home and monitor it easier than trying to go to 3 different houses and manage them.

I know I know I should be letting the kids do this but really I want them to succeed from the beginning not start off super weak and loose them because they really don't know what to watch for yetm.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Sorry to here that. I would think it should have come with 5 frames drawn 2 with honey 3 with brood and pollen. $70.00 sounds a little high. I thinlk the guy just pulled some quick splits.

3. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

I would be inclined to agree with you except they all had the remains of push in queen cells (the commercial queen cells). They all had a laying queen too.

I was dismayed to not have all the frames as drawn comb though. I figured I was about as well off as some of the packages I have gotten in recent years and at $70 I could nurse them and probally be alright. I was promised if they failed they would replace them. But I drove two hours to get them and two hours home so I would be cranky if I had to drive back. I figure my guaranteed delivery date came through and on some other forums I have read horror stories of weeks late orders with still no delivery date.

I just hope anyone else who ordered them knows to get feed on them. Hopefully not many complete newbeeks get disappointed. Frustrating. I keep contemplating changing my objectives and going from hobby with a little honey extra to sell to becoming a nuc supplier and just raising bees.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Carla writes:
    I keep contemplating changing my objectives and going from hobby with a little honey extra to sell to becoming a nuc supplier and just raising bees.

tecumseh:
    jump right in there Carla the waters fine and the sharks are only on occasion a problem.

$85 is a pretty good price for well made up nuc bought in small numbers. sounds like to me someone didn't do such a good job in fully educating those 4-H kids either in business or bee keeping. I would suspect (and hoping not to sound excessively critical here) that you are doing a disservice to 'the kids' in not making some comment in regards to their product. being mum will do nothing to make them better bee keepers or better business folk.

finally... in such a small box a nuc has a fairly limited shelf life when the unit has a good queen and is on a good honey flow. I myself have gone to advertising a 4 frame nuc due to space and inspection concerns but often time toss in a 5 frame of foundation just to keep a nuc in the box until sold.

at the most recent North American Bee Keeping Convention one Kansas/Missouri bee keeper informed us he was getting much more than $85 for his nucs. I suspect the fellow knew exactly what he was doing and seems to have quite a good head for marketing and customer relations. which is to say he seem to have profiled his market quite well and had some understanding as to the price folks would pay and what they expected in return.

ps... I started out bee keeping as a 4H project so I do have some sympathy for 'the kids'.

5. rgy

rgy New Member

one of our club members goes to Ga. and picks up our nucs or packages for people who have ordered them.. he makes 3 trips about a week apart. we got an email yesterday that due to weather the nuc's aren't as built up as they are supposed to be so we are delayed by a week on them. our price was 100$ per nuc. i hope they are in good shape when they do show and since we had 3 inches of snow on the ground this morning I am glad that mine are not showing up this week.

6. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

I really wasn't upset at the seller because I have been hearing stories like that. The kids were happy with the money saved and I figure if I have to help a few along they did guarantee them and I can go back in a month and get a different nuc.

Feeling more positive today about it. I probally got 3lbs of bees and larvae so I was still better off than $85 packages.