youngin listen to your college professors advise

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

27 years ago I had a college professor in machine technology tell us all never wear gloves when running a lathe. For 26 years 360 days I stood by that advise. That is until today In a hurry running 2 machines I was polishing a shaft on an old south bend lathe with a pair of cotton form fitting gloves and emery cloth 900 rpms and machine in back gear it rapped me up in that quick feet off gound and laying across top of machine until it stalled the motor and I got it shut down. 2 fingers bruised to no end swollen hand but no broken bones. Luckly it was a low torque south bend had it been a monarch or big lathe probly would have lost an arm so chillin listen to them thar professors. The give smarter advise than the look. :drinks:

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Glad to hear the worst didn't happen. I only do woodworking, but I wear short sleeves near saws, drill presses, and lathes, no matter how cold it might be, for the same reason.

Walt

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Rat rat rat...................you are a lucky lucky lucky fella. That old lathe could have done you in in just a split second.

I have seen some pretty grusome pics of what a big lathe will do to a fella and it's not pretty. A couple of bruised fingers is about as easy as any machine will let you by with. I have been lucky myself and still have 10 fingers and 10 toes and some very close calls.

Please be careful!!

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

it happened just that quick. had it been a gear head lathe would have been ugly. never had gloves on before when running lathe and even thought about it just before it happened. Then thought naw it will be allright im just polishing.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Add to the list....... Long sleeves and jewelry.

No jewelry when doing mechanic work, either. A wedding ring can become white hot in about 3 seconds when it grounds on the positive terminal of a battery. It can also hang on something and stay there with the finger as the rest of the body continues on.

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

The professors at the School of Hardknock's always said " run only one machine at a time "

Probably not gloves fault, bet more like, Hurry & Consentration.

Hope no serious pain or injury.

Murrell

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

hope it heals quickly RR!! My husband has 9 and 2/3 of his fingers left after an accident with a big machine 13 years ago. Only 1 of my uncles on my Daddy's side kept all of his fingers..... they all worked on farm equipment and in machine shops. You must be one lucky feller!

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

That's the problem w/ power tools. They can kill you faster than hand tools. If you had been running a tredle lathe that would not have happened. That is progress for you. I'm glad you are mostly alright.