Your best bee deal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Jan 28, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What's your best bee deal, you know, the one that we all dream of? Did a mentor pass something great on to you or did you find something behind a barn someone wanted hauled away? Gotta be bee related!
    I'll start (even though I just put it on another thread)
    When I first started keeping bees I needed an extractor. I phoned a bee and candle supply place that was shutting down the beekeeping part to focus on the candle and wax biz. I asked if they had any extractors left and they said no. Then the guy says "Wait a minute, I've got a 2 frame rental that I'm tired of chasing down, it's dirty but if you want it I'll give you a deal. I drove straight over and lo and behold it was a S/S Maxant. I asked what he wanted and he said $25. A little spit and polish and there it is. The receipt is faded but if you look you can still see it. :mrgreen:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I was offered 2 or 3 buildings full of unassembled frames. I think just for the taking. Rast took me to them. They were grooved top bar, which I don't use, and I didn't want to buy thousands of new top bars, so I turned them down.

I guess the next best was 44 hives for 2000.00. All were more than one man could lift and some were 4 boxes high. That was 3 years ago.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Given a Dadant M00390 Junior Bench Extractor, along with a Pierce 110 volt hot knife by a good neighbor.

Given five hives of bees to get me started when I was 8 years old by another good neighbor.

Two boxes of deep foundation for $15 and a small stainless smoker for $15 on craigslist last year.

Iddee you could have taken those grooved top bars across the table saw one time and cut out the wedge ;)

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Sad to say the best deal I ever got was I sold 4 nucs to a guy in the spring. When I sell nucs to keeps it comes with all the free help and advise they need or want I had sold the guy 2 nucs the year before both had died over winter so he bought the 4 the next spring. Thing was this person wouldnt listen to advise I would stop in on my way home from work to check on him and the hives but it was useless. he was convinced his 5 acre plot of ground was enough for his bees. his location wasnt a choice location. Anyhow to make a long story short he wouldnt feed he wouldnt listen and didnt have a clue he called me in september and said come get the hives Im not cut out to be a beekeeper he gave me the 4 nucs none had more than 7 total frames drawed out in double deeps and 5 of them came with the nuc he also gave me the 2 that died out the year before he had never done anything with. why i dont know but he had put propolis traps between the upper and lower deeps on these hives. Preventing the bees from being able to move up to the stores. I brought the hives home got them on some drawn comb I had and fed them up with 2 to one for the month and got 3 of the 4 thru the winter. After which I got real picky at who I sold to and until I was convinced they was willing to learn only then would I add them to the list to buy nucs.

5. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

So far the best deal so far for me is the wonder,joy and satisfaction the ladies have given me, well worth every penny I spent. Bsweet

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Wow G3farms
    Given we are currently in the market for a small farm, maybe I should consider moving to Knoxville. Sounds like a place I could get used to real quick, especially with neighbors like that! :mrgreen:

7. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

. I picked up 80 or so assorted deeps and mediums all with frames off craigslist for $120. None of the frames were drawn out and the stuff had sat empty for years. I was flad I brought along. A trailer for the 20 or so boxes the guy advertised.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Perry..........Bring your frozen canook bones on down, glad to have ya around!!

9. MAXANT

MAXANT New Member

Wow, that bad boy looks new!

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jake :mrgreen:

Is there a cheap way to convert this puppy to a belt driven one like you guys sell now? The gears on this are tired and growl like the dickens.
    (Any idea how old it might be, says 1500-A on it?)

Perry

11. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

200 colonies, two pollination contracts, two outlets for selling honey, an extractor, a bottling tank(still used today), supers, Kelley uncapping tank, 2-100 gallon tanks, smokers, hive tools, Kelly handcart, and other miscellaneous stuff, all for $20,000.

12. MAXANT

MAXANT New Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its not possible with the 1500 to convert.
    It could be anywhere from 6 yrs. to 30 yrs old. I would say its more on the newer side! Nice score.

13. rast

rast New Member

I've gotten several good deals, but the most used is the two extractors that were given to me. I use one for a bottling tank.

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Rast:
    I was thinking at one point of doing the same thing with the 2 frame in the above picture, just take out the basket and there you are. I was wondering how I would keep the honey warm, would the small plastic gate hold and eventually just bought a bottling tank. Anyways, I think a trusty old 2 framer is always handy to have around, you can set it up, use it and clean it real fast and easy.
    Geez, you folks on the south side of the border sure are a generous lot, the word "given" pops up a lot :mrgreen: :mrgreen: