Your Winter hive set up?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Sep 24, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

For the winter i have always left the brood boxes alone, the bottom box will almost always be empty except for pollen stores. The upper box will have stores and brood, the top med super is full of honey, this is on a 2 deep and 1 med. super set up.For the last few years, i've had trouble with wax moth moving in the bottom box, never had this problem before.I have started going to 1 deep and 2 med. for a hive set up that has worked better, and i have some 3 med. supers for a hive set up that works well.My bees are Mutts, but i usually buy Carniolan queens which makes them winter with a smaller cluster, so that could led to some of my moth problem? I like the 2 deep and 1 med. set up better, for it's quick ability to build up fast come spring.My question is,how do you cope with the wax moth and shb that we now have, for a hive set up for winter?:???: Jack
    PS. I would like just a 2 deep hive for winter, but after i take the honey supers off, they don't have enough time or foliage to build up stores for winter.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jack:
    I run double deeps up here and have pretty much the same scenario, pollen and a bit of brood in the bottom and brood and honey in the top. If we don't need a medium on top up here, I don't know that you would need one where you are. If you eliminate the medium, the bees will push down as they back-fill the upper deep, thereby removing your wax moth and SHB problem (SHB=something we don't have to deal with here yet). I am still removing some of the late honey supers I have left on and have begun to feed those that need help. They are sucking up over a half gallon a day each.
    Is it because you don't want to feed at all?

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The hives i have north of home (60 miles, 120 round trip) i will take honey of these at home and give it to the ones up there to buill up there stores and feed the ones here at home if they need it.Saves on gasoline that way,i will feed if i have to, but if i've had a good honey crop? i will leave enough for them to winter on. I don't like winter feeding, but sometimes we have to. Jack

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Brooks,

I am just south of you and I removed all my supers a little before the goldenrod started to bloom. Left them with 2 deeps only, in hopes of forcing them to fill the upper deep with golden rod nectar and also force the queen down to the lower deep. So far it looks like its working. Now all the brood that was in the upper deeps are hatching and they are filling all the empty cells in uppers with nectar. I am finding all my queens in the lower boxes laying right now.

Well see how it works.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

That's what i'd like to do Yank, but for some reason they don't work our goldenrod? The aster is in bloom here and they have always worked it hard, so far this year i've not seen a bee on it? Jack

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I use a deep and 2 mediums on about half my hives and 3 mediums on the others. Pollen in bottom box and brood in the other two. The hives with screen bottom boards try to raise brood and cluster further up than a solid bottom board, I'm going to build solid bottom boards from here out, I don't see a difference in mite loads and the bees fully utilize both boxes with solid bottom.

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I dont know whether it is different breed or what but they dont all get set up the same for winter. I could get in trouble here pulling supers late as they might very little in the upper brood. Cant depend much on fall flow as there is not much after the hard frosts we have had the last week. I have noticed that they dont take down much feed at night either as I guess they have to go down and cover brood.

I have been thinking about going with a medium on top of my two deeps. I will know better after this winter as I will be going into it with hives only weighing about 130 lbs. Good job they are Carni type bees or you would see all their ribs come spring!:smile:

8. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

Jack
    i saw a bee on aster this afternoon. First one I've seen working it this year. The butterflies have been on it a few days now. Usually when I see butterflies on something the bees will be on it in four or five days.
    ‚Äčive never had a problem with the bees not using the bottom deep. They usually fill the top box with honey and all the brood / pollen is in the bottom from the middle of June on.