yucky melons!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by G3farms, Aug 11, 2009.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well picked some water melons and cantalopes yesterday and they tasted like crap.

The water melons look good, smell good, crispy, but taste like crap.

Cantalope look good, smell good, meat is a little slimy and taste like crap.

What a loss, not sure if all of the rain had anything to do with it or not.

G3

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

How disappointing! I'll bet the rain is the culprit. Rainy-year strawberries are tasteless, too.

I planted cantelope this year, and they got about softball size and taste like the green part of a watermelon rind. Ick! I figured the seeds had crossed.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

my melons were planted next to each other and that is how they tasted, like the green rind of a water melon.

Can the two melons cross?

Cantalopes were very nice size, hales best, I think is what they were.
    Watermelons were a little on the small side, sugar babies variety. last year they were exceptionally good.

G3

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

If they are closely related, they can cross-pollinate. (Don't ask me what is "closely related."!) From what I understand, however, if you planted cantalope seeds, and they crossed with watermelon, you would get cantalopes, but the seeds inside would grow something weird next year.

Here's a good article:
    http://lancaster.unl.edu/hort/Articles/ ... bits.shtml

If they did cross-pollinate, I think it's high time you had a stern chat with your bees.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

thanks for the link, I did not think they would cross even though a neighbor said they would. Cucumbers were just fine.

I guess I can blame all of the wet weather.

I had my mouth all set for a good bite and so sad :cry: :cry:

G3

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I got two watermelons and they grew no bigger than grapefruits. Cukes did great in the cooler weather. But many things are rotten this year.

7. Bhodi

Bhodi New Member

The kids picked out watermellon seeds to plant this past spring. I didn't think we had the growing season for them here in NY, and said so. They were planted anyway.

Well, they brought in 1 of 5 good sized mellons tonight. :eek:

Wonder what they taste like...

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The Naturalist at our local state park recently found... at the edge of a picnic area... a lovely watermelon plant growing "wild"! WITH a beautiful melon! Looked better than my garden.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Mother nature plants all kinds of things around my place. Wish she would plant melons next year.. :lol: