zebco fishing reels trivia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Jan 7, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

The next time you are out on the ole crick yep crick a creek is sompin you get in the neck. and your fishing with your trusty 202 or out at the pond with the 404 just think and remember zebcos was first made in 1949 by the zero hour bomb company in tulsa oklahoma. They made bombs during the war. hence the name ZEBCO

2. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

I've used the 888s for over 25 years on my bow fishing set ups. I use "fast flight" http://www.bowhuntingstuff.com/product/ ... -Line.html

on them, its extremely resistant to wear and tear with a small diameter but 200lb breaking strength!

Can land an alligator gar up to 5' with my set up, anything bigger you need a break a way system with a crab cork.

...JP

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've never caught but one alligator gar. It was 70 lb., 72 inch. I caught it on a Zebco 202 with 10 lb. test line and a #6 hook.
    Only took about 3 hours for it to belly up and float to me.

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I still got my Zebco 33, if I remember right the front & back housing is
    Stainless Steel, no plastic.

Caught many gar & cats at Clarksville, Mo. on the Mississippi below the dam. Brings back memories of the 50's & 60's.

Murrell

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Still have and use my Zebcos, Cardinals #3 and #4 open face reels. I'm looking for a spool for my cardinal 4, anyone got one for sale? After 35 yrs of use it came apart. :mrgreen: Jack

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

there are some on ebay, man alive are they proud of them.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I LOVE trivia like this!

I had to look up more. The reel was invented by a watchmaker/inventor in Texas, but could not find anyone to manufacture it. The Zero Hour Bomb Company, who manufactured electric time bombs used in fracturing oil-well formations, and whose business was shrinking rapidly, agreed to help. The rest is history!

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is interesting Hobie, never knew a bomb maker was making fishing reels.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Now i know how Beehunter caught all them fish he talks about. He knows a bomb maker. :mrgreen: Jack

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I spent yesterday afternoon getting my Zebco 33 rods and reels gathered up, new line, and oiled, ready for the March crappie. So far, I have found 9 of them. I have a couple more places to look today.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Iddee, sounds like the zebco 33 is your favorit reel. The shakpeare 2052 was the first open face reel i fished with,dad got all four of us boys one for christmas about 45 yrs ago. I still fish with mine and have acquired 7 more over the years.When my wife and i clean the garage up she will say,what are you going to do with all these rod and reels (thirty some). :eek: I always tell her some of the are our sons, and she's bought that so far :mrgreen: . Jack

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, it's my favorite. I found 3 more today, bringing the total number of 33's to 12. That isn't counting the bait casters and open faces. I have no idea what the total of rods and reels is. I can truthfully say many of the others are my sons, tho.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Now Iddee don't get upset,but our little brother couldn't get the hang of the 2052 reel (always had a birdsnest) dad got tired of untangling it.He went and bought him a close face reel and told everyone it was a child proof reel. :mrgreen: It was a zebco 33. :lol: Jack

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Jack, growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I'm going to be a kid all my life.

It ain't a 33, but I found a 202, new in the box, in my basement today. That's the real kids reel.