Zig Zag pattern foundation wiring

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Crofter, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Is anyone familiar with wiring and embedding the zig zag pattern as used in the UK. I have somewhere seen info on a jig design but cannot find it again.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

dang I thought you were going to discussing wacko weed rollin' papers.

I have never seen frames wired in this fashion but as a side bar I have been told that Jim Powers (at one time the largest commercial beekeeper in the US and one of the original principals in Kona Queens) wired frame vertically and not horizontally. by description these frames were almost impossible to destroy.

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have handled some frames from the DE Hive that are the British National pattern (I think) The vertical zig zag pattern seems to keep the panels very flat. Have been trying out a wire crimper and embedding standard frame wiring horizontally in Langs. The crimped wire seems less prone to cutting the wax and I thought I might try the other pattern to embed it into plain medium wax foundation. It needs no further wiring when installed into frames.
    The jig I saw had retractable pins to hold the loop ends and released after the zig zag is embedded into the sheet.

It has been a while since I twisted up the Zig Zag papers:wink:

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Have a laugh

DSC00124.jpg

I hope this will enlarge to show the Zig Zag pattern of the wiring. The cut-aways are courtesy of one of my hives.

The wire is all one piece with loops at the top and bottom. The side/end bars have an internal groove into which the sheet of foundation slides. Sometimes the foundation is slightly too wide and I trim a thin strip off with a craft knife. The sheet will then be flat in the frame.

I buy ready wired foundation. You can wire your own foundation using a board with a hinged strip holding the bottom loop pegs. When current is passed through the wire the strip is pressed down pushing the heated wire into the wax.

Hope this helps.