Ziploc Baggie Feeder--don't do what I did

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddieobees, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Eddieobees

Eddieobees New Member

Armed with all the knowledge I needed to get myself and the bees in trouble after the Atlanta Beekeepers short course . . . I decided to try the ziploc baggie feeder, followed the instructions that came with the "mini" super from Brushy Mountain, and voila . . . it works . . . . but they forgot to tell you some things.

Here are two links for more details:
    "Holy Comb In the Wrong Places" link
    "Holy Comb In the Wrong Places . . part2"

Here's the main thing they should have added to the instructions:
    • for a new hive, the bees will build comb in any space you leave them, and the area I installed for the ziploc feeder was a great spot for this.
    • listen to the what others suggest/advise
    Here are the results:

From "Big Bee"
    [​IMG] The basic setup
    [​IMG] Comb on top of the frames
    [​IMG] Comb on the inner cover

From "busy Bee"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is what other seasoned beekeepers Suggested:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully we will get everything back on track . .

Thanks for all of the help!!! Eddie O

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Just a thought....Have you got a nectar flow going on right now? If so, maybe your bees are enjoying nature's bounty and now want to build drone comb more than they want your sugar water! lol! :wink:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Eddieobees:

I see this is your first post here so let me first say WELCOME :hi:

Nice pictures and thanks for sharing your experience. :thumbsup:
    I can appreciate the old "finding a frame leaning on the hive" bit. Better yet, after having gone through about a half dozen hives, you find an errant frame resting on the tailgate of your pick-up. :lol:

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Actually it's not all bad, if;
    You checked the drone larva for mites !
    That's one of the earliest mite Check's you can make.

Murrell

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome to the forum Eddie. I've always fed on top of the inner cover and it has worked out good so far.
    Jim

6. Omie

Omie New Member

EddieO,
    I went to look at your blog. I too used ziploc bags to feed my first hives.
    I used one gallon bags, 2/3 full. (full is too heavy and the syrup tries to gush out)
    The shim I used was only 2" deep/tall- it didn't create quite so much space for the bees to build wild comb in- or maybe yours just looks bigger because of your smaller qt size bags?

As you have found, bees will fill any random spaces with comb and they love to build them some drone comb in the Spring. Since plastic foundation is sized for worker larvae, not drone larvae....that forces the bees to try to build some drone comb anywhere else they can find some space for it.
    I had one drone-sized foundation frame in each deep box for my bees to use, and they liked that. Also gave me a concentrated area of drone brood to do mite checks on if I wanted. But a new package shouldn't have much of a mite problem their first few months anyway.

To prevent a mess within the frames, be sure to always push your frames together towards the middle before closing up your hive every time- any extra space should be on either outer side, alongside the box walls.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

As Omie suggests a smaller shim works well. I used 2" stock , which means about 1 3/4" real, and it worked well, but it was very early season before the flow. Also don't fill bags so full , a loose bag makes a nice platform for the syrup to stay on top for the bees to come to, rather than pouring it over the bees:smile:

Good luck

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome to the forum Eddie. :hi:
    It's nice that you made your first posting with such a well organized treatment of the topic. Thanks! :thumbsup:

9. Eddieobees

Eddieobees New Member

Thanks for all the kind words.

I am glad that I found you guys and need all the help I can get!

I found another benefit of placing the baggies above the inner cover is that I can quickly lift the top and see if they need another.

However . . . that unmistakeable "CRUNCH" noise seems to keep happening. I guess they are drawn to the light?

Again, I'm glad I found you guys.

Eddie O.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    that unmistakeable "CRUNCH" noise seems to keep happening. I guess they are drawn to the light?

tecumseh:
    this is just something that will happen. the more bees you maintain the more crunch you will have to endure. of course you want to reduce this to some minimum... absolutely eliminating this is likely impossible.

and thanks for describing both your success and failures in all you bee keeping endeavors.

11. Murrell

Murrell New Member

You probably know, but to help avoid the CRUNCH, when placing the box, put it on at a slight angle, then twist it into position
    This will help scoot the bees off of the bottom box edge.

Murrell